Tuesday 29 March 2016

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN - DAWN OF JUSTICE

So... after about 2 or 3 years of waiting, I got to see Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice at a midnight showing at one of my local cinemas. I was rightly or wrongly very excited before the film started. So here is my review at long last - 

SPOILER WARNING



I know a lot of critics have completely slated the movie, because it either didn't explain certain things or moved too fast etc. If you're already a DC fan like myself and if you enjoyed Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, you would have understood various references and hints to any future Justice League material. 

In my opinion, there was a lot crammed in and not all of it was necessary. The trailer (which I must have watched a hundred times) gave away the 'surprise' of Wonder Woman making an appearance which I think they should have kept secret. Imagine if no one knew she would turn up until the very end of the film? Fans would be pretty blown away by it. 


Another thing; the title of the film made out it would focus on a 'war' between Batman and Superman. Like a lot of people predicted, the film was not based around who would win in a fight. Especially as the sub-heading is 'Dawn of Justice'. However, those who paid to see the two fight it out and waited  for 3 years -  got an 8 minute fight between the two heroes. I can imagine that must have been a huge let down, as epic as the fight was, it was a bit all over the place and unguided.

Batman - 
So I really liked Ben Affleck's take on the caped crusader. As a much older Batman, you can see he is darkened by a past that has destroyed his friends and family. 
We really didn't have to see yet another replay of Bruce Wayne's parents being murdered, did we? 
And the introduction to Bruce as a young boy surrounded by bats was way too cheesy. 

I loved how we see the fight between Zod and Superman from Bruce's perspective and we begin to see the hatred brewing. Alfred was brilliant, I feel like they're could have been a line of two about Robin or the Bat family to give us more background, especially to those who might not know the stories within the comics. 

The Batmobile was beyond impressive - but we seemed to have no introduction to the new armored suit, it just turned up before the fight.



Superman-
For me, superman is superman. Everyone knows he loves Lois Lane, his weakness is Kryptonite, his nemesis is Lex Luthor blah blah. So for me, his story line was somewhat dull and predictable. How many times does he need to save Lois or his mother till we get that he is a good guy. Jesse Eisenberg was brilliant as a young Lex, mad and a genius. I love how we now have a build up to his role as an important antagonist. 

But we do need Superman to have the Justice League and Henry Cavill plays the role perfectly. Until... 

MASSIVE SPOILER

So yeah Superman dies (or does he? dun dun dun) This was way too cheesy and the entire time they were milking Clark's/Soop's death I kept saying in my head "yeah he's not dead" and surprise surprise they didn't kill off the main character. 

I felt like this ending was just scrapping the barrel - its like they said "what would make this movie so shocking?" and it just didn't work. 

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice superman batman v superman batman vs superman superman vs batman


Overall, I think the film was great as a teaser of what's to come. I think Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice is a dark horse and is just an introduction to future installments of the Justice League, Wonder Woman, Aqua Man, Suicide Squad, Flash etc. 

The film wasn't terrible, It just didn't lead up to expectations. It is worth seeing if you are a fan already or if you enjoy superhero flicks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment